It’s easy to get complacent and get into bad habits without us even knowing. We can let our thoughts become negative by default when we’re faced with the challenges along our fitness journey. So as your personal trainer, I wanted to put this post together today to remind you…
Your thoughts become your words.
Your words become your actions.
Your actions become your results.
With this in mind, it would be more effective to start thinking in terms of CAN’T or WON’T.
When you say you can’t do something, it’s because you don’t have the ability.
When you say you won’t do something, it’s because you decide that is not a priority in your life right now.
Said again in a different way…
When you think you can’t do something, it’s because you don’t have the ability.
When you think you won’t do something, it’s because you decide that is not a priority in your life right now.
- It’s time to start empowering yourself because you CAN do anything (over time)!
- It’s time to start changing the way you think about things!
- It’s time to start changing those cants into wonts and then watch your life change!
Here’s 4 Personal Trainer lessons rolled into 1 that you can put into action today:
- Never delay taking corrective action once you’ve recognized a problem.
Lesson – Awareness precedes change.
- Hoping the problem will get better is ignorant. If you have a shoulder that is hurting you, continuing to do the exercises that create a pain response is the same as continuing to slam a door shut on your hand. Do you think that your hand will ever heal with the door repeatedly striking it? This doesn’t mean you should stop exercising (quite the opposite actually), it just means you should be listening to your body more and stop doing exercises that make you feel worse and start doing the exercises that will make you feel better. The body sends pain signals to your brain to let you know something is wrong. Don’t ignore it!
Lesson – Never train through pain or discomfort.
Lesson – Insanity is doing the same thing and expecting different results.
- Procrastination magnifies problems. If you know you need to get back in the gym, then take action and stop thinking about it. If you know you need to eat better, start with your next meal. If you know you should go to a chiropractor or physiotherapist or speak with one of our personal trainers about some corrective exercises do it as soon as you can and then take action! It ain’t getting better while you’re thinking about it!
Lesson – Action alleviates anxiety… but only 100% of the time.
We’ll see you in the gym!
Committed to your success,
Josh Saunders, BSc, CSCS
Your Langley Personal Trainer