This is part 4 of a 6 part interview series with the BEFIT personal trainers.
We developed this interview series so that you can learn more about the trainers who are having an impact on your health and fitness.
In this blog post, we’re chatting with BEFIT Performance Coach, Patrick Minassian.
1. Why do you love working at BEFIT?
I love working at BEFIT because there are truly positive people who inspire and encourage each other. The camaraderie and mutual support at BEFIT is the best.
2. What do you like doing in your spare time?
3. What got you into personal training?
I wanted to help myself change when I fell in love with weight training and strength training. I then realized there were a lot of people that wanted to change too. I felt a sense of fulfillment helping people. I became a personal trainer with the intention of helping people and letting them know there is much more to their worth as people than how they look, how much they bench, etc. Training and physical transformation is a means to finding that – it can be paradoxical.
4. What advice would you give to someone just starting out on their fitness journey?
Don’t compare yourself to anyone. Nobody cares about how you look, how much you bench, or anything. Anyone that cares about these isn’t worth your time and you shouldn’t care to a point that hinders your satisfaction with life. Fulfill YOUR potential whatever that is. The mind that judges others, judges itself.
5. What are you currently working on to get better at right now? Could be education, personal development, fitness, nutrition….
6. What’s your favorite exercise?
Right now I am giving barbell rows a second go after a falling out, and because they are strengthening a weakness of mine.
7. What is your biggest weakness?
Getting caught in the details and missing the forest for the trees.
8. What is your typical fat loss nutrition look like for yourself?
Very similar to when I am trying to gain weight, just less. The right amount of protein, optimally timed carbohydrates, and healthy fats.
9. What are you listening to these days?
Orchestral pieces, and A Perfect Circle.
10. Do you have a favorite BEFIT workout of all time?
Dead-lifts, weighted step-ups, and some hamstring work. Finishing off with some more glutes, and metabolic work. What more could you want? (note from Josh – this sounds a lot like the workout that Patrick did in his “interview” in March 2017 known as DOMS (Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness).
11. What do you specialize in?
Body re-composition. (body re-composition is when you lose body fat and build muscle).
12. Favorite motivational quote?
“Empty your mind. Be formless, shapeless, like water. Now you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put into a bottle, it becomes the bottle. When you put water into a teapot, it becomes the teapot. Now water can flow, or it can crash. Be water my friend.” – Bruce Lee
AND MORE INFO…
Patrick is at BEFIT on Tuesday and Wednesday nights. If you haven’t officially met him, feel free to say hi next time you are in the gym.
Committed to your success,